Do you need help with skunk removal in Aurora? Not only are these animals stinky, but their odour can make people feel nauseous and even vomit. Additionally, the smell can cause the eyes to have a burning sensation. Skunks are dangerous since they carry diseases like rabies. There sure are a lot of reasons you don’t want to have skunks on your property.
Where can you find skunks? The answer is in many places! Skunks like to burrow under sheds, decks, stairs and stoops in search of protection. They can destroy lawns by digging holes. The experts at Icon Pest can help you remove skunks by using traps and implementing a preventive plan to avoid future issues.
Skunk Removal in Aurora
Icon Pest experts want to protect your family from wildlife. Working with us gives you a peace-of-mind as we humanely remove skunks from your property. Our 25 years of experience makes us a leader in the industry, and you can count on us.
Skunks go into neighbourhoods looking for food, water, and shelter. Icon Pest uses top-notch tools and techniques to combat skunks.
Skunks can even enter homes looking for shelter. They may enter basements, crawl spaces, and under porches or decks. They like dark areas and to feel protected against predators.
Skunk mate from mid-February to mid-April. These months are the time of year that skunks are most active. Young male skunks usually leave their nests in the fall, while the females stay with their mothers until the spring.
Tips For Dealing with Skunks in Aurora
Here are some recommendations to follow if you know there are skunks in your area. Being aware and alert is essential so that there are no surprises.
- If you happen to get close to a skink, the best idea is to turn around and walk in the other direction.
- Knowing the signs a skunk gives before spraying can help save you from a stinky situation. The first sign skunks give is by stomping their feet. The next thing they do is put up their tails. Unfortunately, when you see this last step, it is usually too late to move away. The next thing they do is release their oily, unpleasant spray from their anal glands.
- When walking around outside at night, be sure to carry a flashlight so you can light your path. Surprised skunks feel threatened and therefore spray.
- Use a floodlight to encourage skunks to move to a particular area. They get scared and tend to run away from bright light.
- Knowing what skunks eat can help you limit access to food on your property. They mainly eat insects (bees, beetles, grasshoppers, and crickets), fruit, nuts, birdseed, pet food, rats, mice, chicken eggs, and rabbits.
Eliminating the Horrendous Skunk Smell
After emitting its spray, the smell can linger for two to three weeks. It is essential to act fast when this happens as it gets harder to neutralize the odour as time passes.
If a skunk sprays indoors, airing out the house is vital. Open all windows and use fans to move the air around.
If the smell is trapped in the basement, putting the heat on high to help raise the scent, yes, into your living space, could then allow it to escape out open windows on the main floor of the house. This act will increase your heat bill for the month, but it could help move the smell out faster.
Many people have heard that tomato juice helps with the stink, but it isn’t the answer in reality. It can mask the odour, but it won’t get rid of it. But thankfully, a chemist named Paul Krebaum developed a solution that can chemically neutralize skunk odour. Here is the recipe! Mix the following ingredients.
- 1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (It is best to use a new bottle, so keeping an extra one on hand is a good option.)
- ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap
You can use this mixture on your pets and even on yourself. Hydrogen peroxide can discolour fabric, so be careful.
You can also eliminate the skunk smell by washing clothes or fabrics by adding 1/2 cup of baking soda to laundry detergent and washing in hot water. Air drying the clothes, especially out in the sunshine, helps remove any other lingering odour.
Icon Pest Takes Care of Skunk Removal in Aurora
Icon Pest provides the best quality wildlife control services. Wildlife has difficulty finding natural areas to roam and live freely; therefore, people find animals like skunks more often on their properties.
With our 25 years of experience in the wildlife removal and pest control industry, we are the experts you need. Icon Pest offers a 100% money-back guarantee; your satisfaction is our goal.
Work step-by-step with Icon Pest. We are always available to talk with you about skunk removal in Aurora.