How to prevent and remove skunks in Woodbridge
Here are some basic rules to live by to discourage skunks from setting up shop on your property:
- Maintain a tidy property free of debris, wood and scrap piles
- Block and fence / screen access to crawl spaces under your home
- Keep tree branches trimmed and a distance away from your roof and attic
- Don’t leave your pet food or food waste outside
- Never feed skunks or their young
- Keep your shed and garage doors closed at all times
- Use tight fitting lids and secure garbage bins and food compost bins
- Keep your household garbage secure inside a closed garage or shed until scheduled pick up days
Are skunks dangerous or hazardous to humans?
While skunks are not naturally aggressive animals and only spray in defense (and rarely bite or attack unless provoked), there are a number of public health concerns associated with skunks.
The most common health risk involves skunks as carriers of rabies. Not all skunks who carry rabies display symptoms and thus, they present the risk of transferring the virus to humans or pets via bites or ingested droppings. There is also a lot of concern around skunks as potential carriers of ticks, fleas, lice, roundworm and tapeworm.
The CDC provides a full list of other diseases carried and transmitted by these wildlife creatures, including leptospirosis, Q-fever, tularemia, canine distemper, canine hepatitis, and listeriosis.
Our pest removal services include
ant extermination, rat removal, mice extermination, cockroach removal, bed bug removal, fly control, pest inspection & treatment and wildlife removal services.
Skunk Removal Woodbridge
At Icon Pest, our widely knowledgeable and highly experienced Wildlife Control teams are licensed and fully insured, capable of handling any wildlife control problem you are facing, including skunk removal in Woodbridge.
We have a wide range of animal removal services and have been serving our customers across the Greater Toronto Area for over 25 years.
Skunks are common carriers of rabies and emit a foul-smelling spray that is noxious and notoriously difficult to get rid of. You don’t want them in your home and trapping them can be quite difficult.
If you are having trouble with nuisance from rats, mice, squirrels, raccoons, squirrels, possums or any other wildlife disturbances, ICON PEST & WILDLIFE CONTROL team is equipped and ready to humanely catch and remove troublesome skunks from your homes and attics.
Facts about skunks
With their characteristic black and white stripes or spots, skunks are a familiar fur bearing animal in North America. With progressive development in our cities and towns presenting better and better access to food and shelter, the skunk population in Ontario is significant.
Here are some additional features to note about these familiar creatures:
- Skunks are nocturnal creatures meaning they are active at night
- The yellow, oily substance they spray can reach 15 feet away
- A singly skunk can spray upwards of 5 times in a row
- They belong to the weasel family
- Striped skunks are roughly the size of an adult house cat
- They are omnivores
- They produce offspring during late spring to early summer
- They can produce litters of 4 to 7 young and some female skunks are able to produce a second litter the same year!
At Icon Pest and Wildlife Removal Service, our skunk control technicians are very knowledgeable about skunk habits and behaviours. During a service call, they perform a comprehensive search of your property to find any skunks festering in your gardens or hedges, underneath your porch or deck or attic and roof.
Areas we serve
We provide pest control & wildlife removal services in Richmond Hill, Aurora, Thornhill, Woodbridge, Newmarket, Toronto, North York & Scarborough
You can connect with us at 647-325-9060 to enjoy a pest-free life.